Wickett & Craig Natural Carving and American Vachetta Premium Leather Remnant Scrap Bundles
Our natural leather scrap bundles come with a random assortment of the stiffer natural carving and more supple American Vachetta leathers.
American Vachetta vs Natural Carving:
- Vachetta has a softer temper (less stiff)
- Vachetta will patina to a caramel color, while natural carving will become more of a pink.
- We consider our leather scrap 'Premium'. All scrap bundles come with several large remnant pieces cut from all areas of the hide. These pieces are great for small leather items, trim, repairs, practice, and many other projects.
We are offering 2 different weight bundle options. A light weight variety bundle and a heavy weight bundle.
- Light Weight Bundles includes a random assortment of some or all of the following weights:
Heavy Weight Bundles includes a random assortment of some or all of the following weights:
- 2.5-3 oz (Thickness: 1.0-1.2mm --- 3/64")
- 3.5-4 oz (Thickness: 1.4-1.6mm --- 1/16")
- 4.5-5 oz (Thickness: 1.8-2.0mm --- 5/64")
- 5.5-6 oz (Thickness: 2.2-2.4mm --- 3/32")
- 8-10 oz (Thickness: 3.2-4.0mm --- 1/8"-5/32")
- 10-12 oz (Thickness: 4.0-4.8mm --- 5/32"-3/16")
Grade: All scrap comes from #1 and #2 (Standard & Utility) leather sides - Please note that scrap remnants will often come with imperfections.
Back Side: Natural unfinished
The Tannery: Wickett & Craig of Curwensville, PA, USA (est. 1867)
- American Vachetta: Wickett & Criag's natural 'American Vachetta' leather was originally developed with a special mix of compounds and modeled after the European style Vachetta. What makes Vachetta leather so special is the patina it develops with use. Aging to a caramel color, the American Vachetta will quickly burnish to a rich patina. Another factor that typically sets Vachetta leather apart is its softer temper and rounder hand when compared to the Wickett natural carving leather.
- Carving leather: Carving leather is a completely vegetable tanned hide that is unfinished, allowing it to be beautifully tooled and molded. This leather is made to take on dye and oil exceptionally well so that you can create your desired finish.
- This is a natural untreated leather and so is made to take on dye and oil exceptionally well so that you can create your desired finish.
- Used by crafters looking to stamp, mold, dye, finish and customize their leather for belts, bags, high-end leather goods and accessories, equestrian gear, and much more.
- The back is natural and unfinished with a clean flat back.