Horween Chromexcel Leather Belly - Brown
** Please note: Bellies are typically considered scrap leather. They are good for small cuttings and for practicing your leather work. Bellies will have areas of looseness, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes. Our Horween bellies range from about 4-6 square feet. We have these split down to weight at the tannery. The back side of the belly is not refinished and therefore has splotchy areas of Brown color and other areas of natural color throughout. **
Size: Average 4-6 sq. ft.
- 3.5-4 oz (Thickness: 1.4-1.6mm --- 7/128"-1/16")
- 4.5-5 oz (Thickness: 1.8-2.0mm --- 9/128"-5/64")
- 6-7 oz (Thickness: 2.4-2.8mm --- 3/32"-7/64")
- 8-9 oz (Thickness: 3.2-3.6mm --- 1/8"-9/64")
Grade: TR (Tannery Run)
Back Side: Unfinished, smooth
The Tannery: Horween Leather Company of Chicago, IL, USA (est. 1905)
- Chromexcel: One of, if not the most popular of the Horween leathers, Aniline Chromexcel is hot-stuffed to infuse the leather with oils and greases to make a very comfortable and durable leather. It is then hand stained in a variety of colors. The leather is well known for its natural grain, rich pull-up and a gentle softness.
- What is "pull-up": When the leather is folded or flexed the greases inside the leather create a tonal effect on the top side of the leather. It can then be buffed out to its near original look. This adds an incredible amount of character to the leather.
- Horween leathers have been hand made since 1905 and still use many of its original tannages and techniques, while innovating with modern applications.
- Used for watch straps, wallets, small leather goods, shoes, clothing, bag straps, bags, and infinite other leather products.