Horween Essex Leather Belly - Natural
** Please note: Bellies are typically considered scrap leather. They are good for small cuttings and for practicing your leather work. Bellies will have areas of looseness, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes. Our Horween bellies range from about 4-6 square feet. We have these split down to weight at the tannery. The back side of the belly is not refinished and therefore has splotchy areas and other areas of natural color throughout. **
Size: Average 4-6 sq. ft.
- 3.5-4 oz (Thickness: 1.4-1.6mm --- 7/128"-1/16")
- 4.5-5 oz (Thickness: 1.8-2.0mm --- 9/128"-5/64")
- 6-7 oz (Thickness: 2.4-2.8mm --- 3/32"-7/64")
- 8-9 oz (Thickness: 3.2-3.6mm --- 1/8"-9/64")
Grade: TR (Tannery Run)
Back Side: Unfinished, smooth
The Tannery: Horween Leather Company of Chicago, IL, USA (est. 1905)
- Essex: Using the same tanning extracts as the Genuine Shell Cordovan, the Essex full grain leathers are a vegetable tanned side leather with tanning methods that are over 100 years old. Essex is distinguished by its oil blend that ages beautifully over time that are used on a large variety of products. There are also 2 waxed versions of Essex: Dublin and Derby, which are considered more 'rustic' versions of Essex.
- Essex is well known for being supple and soft with saturated colors, and a refined look.
- Horween leathers have been hand made since 1905 and still use many of its original tannages and techniques, while innovating with modern applications.
- Used for watch straps, wallets, small leather goods, shoes, clothing, bag straps, bags, and infinite other leather products.