Wickett & Craig "Traditional Harness" Veg Tanned Leather Side - Russet
** Please note: Bellies are typically considered scrap leather. They are good for small cuttings and for practicing your leather work. Bellies will have areas of looseness, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes. Our Wickett & Craig bellies range from about 3-5 square feet. We have these split down to weight at the tannery.**
The Tannery: Wickett & Craig of Curwensville, PA, USA (est. 1867)
- Traditional Harness: Quickly becoming one of Wickett's top leathers, traditional harness is known for its unique blend of waxes, oils and tallows, which are hot stuffed into the leather to bring out the true beauty of the leather and its grain. Utilizing a traditional process known as jack glazing, the oils are brought to the surface which creates a glossy finish that does not hide the leather's natural grain.
- Wickett & Craig "Traditional Harness" Leather is among the highest end vegetable tanned leathers in the world. Crafted in the USA, Wickett & Craig is known for quality, durability, and rich finishes.
- Traditional harness can be used for leather goods, belts, bags, high-end accessories, equestrian gear, and much more.
- A beautiful top side with rich color that easily stamps and tools if desired.
- The back side is refinished and 'gum pasted'. The gum paste gives an incredible waxy and smooth texture.
Weight: 9-11 oz (Thickness: 3.6-4.4mm --- 9/64"-11/64")
Size: Average 3-5 sq. ft.
Grade: These are bellies, therefore the quality is not great. Expect loose areas, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes.
Back Side: Refinished in russet, with gum paste!
Traditional Harness vs English Bridle
- Simply put, traditional harness has a glossier top grain surface, whereas English Bridle is more matte. English Bridle has a more uniform color on the hide whereas traditional harness has more marbling, showing light and dark color tones across the hide. For more info please see the above description!