Wickett & Craig 'American Vachetta' Leather Belly - Natural
** Please note: Bellies are typically considered scrap leather. They are good for small cuttings and for practicing your leather work. Bellies will have areas of looseness, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes. Our Wickett & Craig bellies range from about 3-5 square feet. We have these split down to weight at the tannery.**
- 8-10 oz (Thickness: 3.2-4.0mm --- 1/8"-5/32")
- 10-12 oz (Thickness: 4.0-4.8mm --- 5/32"-3/16")
Size: Average 3-5 sq. ft.
Grade: These are bellies, therefore the quality is not great. Expect loose areas, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes.
Back Side: Natural
The Tannery: Wickett & Craig of Curwensville, PA, USA (est. 1867)
- American Vachetta: Wickett & Craig's natural 'American Vachetta' leather was originally developed with a special mix of compounds and modeled after the European style Vachetta. What makes Vachetta leather so special is the patina it develops with use. Aging to a caramel color, the American Vachetta will quickly burnish to a rich patina. Another factor that typically sets Vachetta leather apart is its softer temper and rounder hand when compared to the Wickett natural carving leather.
- American Vachetta vs Natural Carving:
- Vachetta has a softer temper (less stiff)
- Vachetta will patina to a caramel color, while natural carving will become more of a pink.
- This is a natural untreated leather and so is made to take on dye and oil exceptionally well so that you can create your desired finish.
- Used by crafters looking to stamp, mold, dye, finish and customize their leather for belts, bags, high-end leather goods and accessories, equestrian gear, and much more.
- The back is natural and unfinished with a clean flat back.