Wickett & Craig Carving Veg Tanned Leather Belly - Natural
** Please note: Bellies are typically considered scrap leather. They are good for small cuttings and for practicing your leather work. Bellies will have areas of looseness, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes. Our Wickett & Craig bellies range from about 3-5 square feet. We have these split down to weight at the tannery. The back side of the belly is smooth and natural. **
The Tannery: Wickett & Craig of Curwensville, PA, USA (est. 1867)
- Carving leather: Carving leather is a completely vegetable tanned hide that is unfinished, allowing it to be beautifully tooled and molded. This leather is made to take on dye and oil exceptionally well so that you can create your desired finish.
- American Vachetta vs Natural Carving:
- Vachetta has a softer temper (less stiff)
- Vachetta will patina to a caramel color, while natural carving will become more of a pink.
- Wickett & Craig Carving Leather is among the highest end vegetable tanned leather in the world. Crafted in the USA, Wickett & Craig is known for quality, durability, and rich finishes.
- Used by crafters looking to stamp, mold, dye, finish and customize their leather for belts, bags, high-end leather goods and accessories, equestrian gear, and much more.
- The back is natural and unfinished with a clean flat back.
- 2.5-3 oz (Thickness: 1.0-1.2mm --- 3/64")
- 3.5-4 oz (Thickness: 1.4-1.6mm --- 1/16")
- 4.5-5 oz (Thickness: 1.8-2.0mm --- 5/64")
- 5.5-6 oz (Thickness: 2.2-2.4mm --- 3/32")
- 8-10 oz (Thickness: 3.2-4.0mm --- 1/8"-5/32")
- 10-12 oz (Thickness: 4.0-4.8mm --- 5/32"-3/16")
Size: Average 3-5 sq. ft.
Grade: These are bellies, therefore the quality is not great. Expect loose areas, holes, scratch marks, and other blemishes.
Back Side: Natural unfinished